Work Permits


If you are 14 or 15 you will need a work permit.

How to Obtain Work Permits:

Work permits are issued if you already have a job, the promise of a job or you are searching. The minimum age for employment is 14. A work permit is not required when you turn 16. There are companies that do require them up to the age of 18. Work Permits can be obtained at the school you are attending or from the Superintendent's office of the school district in which you reside, or from the New Mexico Department of Workforce Solutions office nearest you. Your parent or guardian must be with you at the time your work permit is issued. Proof of age at the time of issuance must be furnished. You must have one of the following documents:

  • Birth Certificate
  • Valid Driver’s License
  • State Issued ID
  • School ID/Records indicating date of birth
  • Military ID/Dependent's ID Card
  • Native American Tribal Document
  • Medicaid Card/Medical Records indicating Date of birth
  • Resident Alien Card
  • US Passport
First try contacting the school you are attending for a work permit.

Further information on Child Labor Laws can be obtained from or by contacting Linda Coronado-Arvizo the Child Labor Compliance Officer at 505-841-4406 or 505-589-8242 or via email

Prohibited Occupation InformationHigh School Workforce CentersFind a Workforce Connection Office Near You