Work Permits
If you are 15 or younger you will need a work permit.

How to Obtain Work Permits:

Work permits are only issued if you already have a job or the promise of a job. The minimum age for employment is 14. A work permit is required until you turn 16. Work Permits can be obtained at the school you are attending or from the superintendent's office of the school district in which you reside, or from the New Mexico Department of Workforce Solutions office nearest you. Your parent or guardian must be with you at the time your work permit is issued. Proof of age at the time of issuance must be furnished. You must have one of the following documents:
  • Birth certificate
  • Valid driverís license
  • State issued ID
  • School ID/records indicating date of birth
  • Military ID/dependent's ID card
  • Native American tribal document
  • Medicaid card/medical records indicating date of birth
  • Resident alien card
  • US passport
First try contacting the school you are attending for a work permit. See the list of High School Workforce Centers for a contact at your school or visit a local workforce office for assistance.

Visit the Department of Workforce Solutions website at for further information on Child Labor Laws and Work Permits. If you need additional information, contact the Labor & Industrial Child Labor Section at 505-827-6817 or 505-827-0091.
High School Workforce CentersFind a Workforce Connection Office Near You

You are at the page footer.